- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
PD 80/20 Capsules
PD 80/20 Capsules is a dietary supplement formulated to help maximize internal health and support the endocrine system.* It contains pregnenolone and DHEA. Furthermore, these two substances are produced naturally by the body that declines with age. Pregnenolone is the key precursor for the body’s production of estrogen, DHEA, and progesterone. It also has an impact on mental acuity and memory.* DHEA is involved in maintaining the health of the cardiovascular and immune systems.*
- Pregnenolone is the key precursor (a building block) for the body’s production of progesterone and DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), as well as estrogen, testosterone, and cortisone and others. DHEA and pregnenolone levels naturally peak during youth and slowly decline with age. However, if your adrenal glands are stressed, your pregnenolone levels drop far more quickly and deeply.
- There are many causes of adrenal stress, some of which are inadequate exercise or sleep (i.e., going to sleep late, sleep apnea, etc.), psychological stress (mental-emotional or pressures at work), chronic illness, injury, surgery, holding on to negative emotions, depression, poor nutrition and many more.
- The body creates pregnenolone out of cholesterol (contrary to what we’ve been led to believe, humans, need to eat a certain amount of cholesterol). The conversion of cholesterol into pregnenolone occurs principally in the adrenal glands. Smaller amounts are made in the liver, skin, brain, testicles, ovaries, and retinas.
Pregnenolone functions as powerful neurosteroid in the brain, modulating the transmission of messages and assisting with learning and memory processes. It plays an important part in regulating insulin resistance and skin tone. It is also a hormone balancer – having the amazing ability to bring the levels of other hormones up or down as needed.
Pregnenolone was studied heavily in the 1930s and 1940s, but in 1949 Merck pharmaceuticals introduced cortisone to the market as a cure-all for rheumatoid arthritis, and research on pregnenolone was abandoned. From then on, all the attention went to cortisone and prednisone, which followed shortly thereafter, in spite of their side-effects. As with other hormones, there are widely varying levels of quality available.
PD 80/20 uses the highest grade pregnenolone and DHEA.
- DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) is the most common hormone precursor in the body. It is secreted by the adrenal glands and is associated with youthful and healthy functioning in many of the body’s systems.
- Low levels of DHEA bring increased cardiovascular risk, diabetes, obesity, loss of vigor and sexual energy, depression, and marked skin aging.
According to Life Extension®:
“DHEA is the most abundant hormone precursor in the human body and a source of the sex hormones. Its steady and precipitous decline is an inevitable consequence of aging, and contributes to the onset of degenerative disease.” “As little as 50 mg of DHEA per day may favorably alter gene expression to inhibit multiple factors implicated in metabolic syndrome; boost bone strength; enhance cognitive function and memory; and ward off osteoarthritis.”
DHEA has important neuroprotective, memory-enhancing effects. It enhances brain cell utilization of ATP in animals. ATP is the body’s fundamental energy-storage molecule (protecting the cell membranes from age-related damage). It also mitigates depression, improves bone turnover which results in stronger bones and joints and improves mineralization to reduce fracture risk, strengthens the immune system, and is protective against diabetes and heart disease. Also known to enhance well-being and has especially favorable effects on skin health and appearance because it increases production of collagen and decreases the production of the collagenase enzymes that destroy it.
DHEA Needs to be Balanced
The important thing about DHEA is that it works best when used in combination with pregnenolone. Alone, it sometimes stimulates too much production of testosterone or estrogen in men. The balancing effects of pregnenolone steer the DHEA in the right direction. Women don’t seem to have a problem with it stimulating too much production of testosterone. And many women past the age of 50 or welcome a little boost in estrogen. But some women taking DHEA don’t need extra estrogen. Here’s where the balancing effects of pregnenolone and the estrogen lowering effects of progesterone come into play.
PD 80/20 combines optimal proportions of pregnenolone and DHEA while Progessence Plus provides the progesterone. Although DHEA is known for improving the skin, very occasionally, a woman might get a case of acne or oily skin from DHEA. This goes away almost immediately once DHEA supplementation is stopped.
How to use:
Start with 1 capsule per day, then increase to 2 capsules per day as needed. Keep in a cool dry place. Keep out of reach of children. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician.
PD 80/20 Ingredients
PD 80/20 – 30 Capsules, Item # 3263